My mother’s 71st birthday. She passed away September 20, 2006. It is hard to believe that she has been gone for four years. There is a not a day that goes by that I don’t think about her or remember something from the past.
Here are the remarks that I made at her funeral in September 2006
Roles that my mother fulfilled in her life
- Mother – she loved her children and her daughter in law very much.
- Grandmother – she was a grandmother for only five months (she passed away on the same day that Joseph turned 5 months old), but she was very excited from the moment she found out and also did a tremendous amount to help us get started on our journey to parenthood. She was there for Joseph’s birth and when we buried Jonathan back at the end of July.
- Encourager – she always knew what to say or what to do to encourage me or others. Whether it was a phone call, a card, or even sometimes an e-mail. She was a very good writer and very good at expressing herself through the written word.
- Provider – she provided well for us when we were kids and even into adulthood she was always looking to do things for us to help make our lives just a bit easier. She did everything in a sacrificial manner.
- Teacher – she taught us to work hard and to do our best.
- Friend- she had many friends and was faithful and loyal to them and that is evidenced by those of you who are in attendance today to honor her life.
- Colleague/co-worker – most people her age were either already retired or thinking about retirement, but she was still working full-time until her illness. She knew her job and did it to the best of her ability and was able to mentor and teach others by her example and work ethic.
- Caregiver – not only did she care for Sabrina and myself when we were growing up; she also cared for her own mother (until her death in 2000); she also cared for both of her aunts (Norrie – died in 2002; Jeanne – died in June, 2006).
- Fighter – she fought as hard as she could knowing that the prognosis was not good. This was undoubtedly that hardest trial that she faced in her life and she fought it with grace and dignity until the very end. She died peacefully and my sister and I were with her when she passed away.
- Christian – Mom was a follower of Jesus Christ. She became a Christian in 1993. She was not ashamed of her faith (Romans 1:16; Ephesians 2:8,9)
Mom lived a full life and did the best that she could for everyone, she was not a perfect person as none of us are, but it is now the responsibility of myself, Sabrina, Heidi and Joseph along with each person whose life she touched to live out what she taught us both verbally and by her example. We loved her and will miss her very much.